Onyia ready to dump Jamaica for Nigeria
February 5, 2012 by KAZEEM BUSARI and OZIOMA UBABUKOH
Nigerian-born shot-put athlete Emmanuel Onyia Jnr, who has been approached by Jamaican officials to represent them, tells KAZEEM BUSARI and OZIOMA UBABUKOH about his desire to represent Nigeria at international level
In an Olympic year as this, a wise thing for any nation will be to encourage and invite its capable and willing athletes ahead of the quadrennial games. It might be difficult to convince some athletes to represent their African nation of birth instead of their adopted countries in Europe and America, but some athletes will not think twice when it comes to going back to base. Emmanuel Onyia Jnr is one of such athletes willing to shine for his fatherland, Nigeria.
An emerging shot-put athlete, Onyia has made a name for himself, becoming world?s number seven as a junior in 2011. His 19.93 metres throw in the High School Boys Shot Put Championship at The Pen Relays in Philadelphia, USA, which won him silver last year beats the All-Africa Games record of 19.73m set in 2011 in Maputo, Mozambique by Egypt ?s Ibrahim Farag Yasser.
The 18-year-old has featured in a few other competitions, winning laurels while representing his Jamaican school, Munroe College Track & Field. His achievements have however attracted the Jamaican athletics association and a few other institutions in the US who want the lad to represent them. But Onyia wants to represent Nigeria.
Born on June 16, 1993 in Lagos, Onyia lived in Enugu with his aunt until he was six years old before leaving for Jamaica to join his father and stepmother.
His love for sports started when he was transferred to MontegoBay Prep School where he played football and tried track and field sports which included discus.
?When I was in Grade Six, my parents decided that I would go to Munro College. When I was in first form (Grade Seven), a senior thrower, Omar Bryan, saw me and thought I had the potential to throw the shot-put,? Onyia said.
?I went to training and the first day I attempted throwing the shot-put, it fell back right in front of me. I had some difficult years, but in time I grew to love the sport and understand it.
?In my first year as a class one athlete, I threw 17.55m with the 13lb ball, and 18.65m with the 12lb ball. Last year I threw 18.26m with the 13lb ball and 19.93m with the 12lb ball.?
While Onyia faces a dilemma in which institution to choose after Florida State University and University of Minnesota (both in the USA) offered him full scholarship beginning from 2012, the Jamaican athletics association is waiting for him to apply for Jamaican citizenship this year. He can do that since he is now 18 years old but Onyia is not contemplating that.
?I just want to represent Nigeria. I love being a Nigerian and I want to show the world how proud I am to be one,? Onyia said.
?The Olympics is every athlete?s dream; if I get to be there, I?ll be excited but my first aim is to be at the World Junior Games scheduled to hold in Barcelona, Spain in July. Representing Nigeria at the games will be a major step for me and the country. I know I can win a medal at the competition.?
Onyia?s father, Emmanuel Onyia Snr, was elated when his son told him of his plan to represent Nigeria instead of Jamaica. He described his son as a patriot who was willing to do everything to make Nigeria shine at international level.
He said, ?He was not under pressure from anyone to choose Nigeria ahead of Jamaica. It was his decision and I hope he gets the opportunity to make the country proud.?
Onyia Snr added, ?He was unbelievably excited to see that he could have won gold easily at the 2011 All-Africa Games after the Egyptian won the shot put event with a mark lower than his (Onyia?s) personal best.
?We watched it on television, and his coaches further encouraged him to go for a bigger competition.
?He has always wanted to come back to Nigeria to compete at the junior level but he needs to finish his High School studies first.?
Source: http://www.nigerianbestforum.com/generaltopics/?p=116450
martina mcbride terry jones andy reid elf on the shelf elf on the shelf 2012 grammy nominations stephen sondheim
No comments:
Post a Comment