Friday, February 3, 2012

Steel Cut Oatmeal in the crockpot. . . or not. : Queen Bee Coupons ...

(Photo credit: The Yummy Life!)

Oh I had great thoughts of waking up this morning to a warm bowl of apple cinnamon steel cut oatmeal and a hot cup of coffee. You see I found a recipe for Slow Cooker Apple Cinnamon Steel Cut Oatmeal here and I wanted to give it a go (doesn?t it look delicious?). I even got a bunch of you excited about this over on the Queen Bee Facebook page.

So late last night I throw it all in my crockpot ? only to discover that it this is what my crockpot did to it by morning:

What a hot mess. I don?t believe this is the fault of the recipe. And of course it can?t be user error (wink, wink). I think my slow cooker does not know the true meaning of ?low? ? which usually works to my advantage as I frantically throw my ?slow? cooker meal into the crockpot at 2 p.m. for a 5 p.m. dinner. LOL. Usually that scorching ?slow? cook helps me out ? but not today. I had it on the lowest possible setting. And the crazy thing is I woke up at 4:30 a.m. on a whim and decided to check it ? imagine if I had slept another couple hours.

I also discovered why none of the recipes suggested adding raisins during the cooking process. Well duh. They melted into a big mess. I?ve never claimed to be Martha Stewart ? but I really feel like a doofus messing up oatmeal.

My husband woke up and was completely fooled. It smelled so good. He headed straight for the kitchen asking if he could have some. I said, ?sure!? and he took one look at it and said, ?uhhh. . . want a coffee refill?? Haha. Poor guy.

I did see other recipes use a water bath in the slow cooker and that might be my best bet. I won?t give up, not yet. . .stay tuned. It might be a few days, I have a feeling I?ll be scrubbing this pot for a while. ?. . Cheerios anyone?

p.s. I know this post probably has you ready to run out and buy Steel Cut Oats. If so, here?s a printable coupon for $1 off any McCann?s Irish Oatmeal product (use zip code 75037). Trader Joe?s is a great place to buy.



This post may contain affiliate links. Click to view my disclosure policy.

Source: http://queenbeecoupons.com/2012/02/steel-cut-oatmeal-in-the-crockpot-or-not/

epstein joshua komisarjevsky barney frank barney frank tony bennett rob gronkowski amityville horror

No comments:

Post a Comment